- Use accessible language – put things as simply as possible and use bullets when possible (even in our academic environment!)
- Provide alt-tags for the images (unless they’re just decorative). The alt-text should follow the guidelines at http://webaim.org/techniques/alttext/
- If using a full page image (which you should avoid), either use very detailed alt text to convey the meaning of the image or provide a link at the bottom of the email to a website with an alternate version of the email.
- Use headings and styles properly.
- Don't use tables if possible unless it is for formatting data. If you do use tables, use appropriate HTML markup for the table elements.
- Don't use only color to emphasize something or indicate meaning.
- Provide sufficient color contrast.
- Avoid patterned backgrounds.
- Make sure any documents you attach to the email are also accessible.